The Red Deer River is a prominent natural feature on the landscape of central Alberta. It was used for centuries by First Nation People who came to hunt the bountiful wildlife that were found along its banks. Plains Cree referred to the river as 'Waskasoo Seepee' or 'Elk River' due to the large herds that would gather there. Early European fur traders mistook the Elk as Scottish Red Deer and misinterpreted the name as 'Red Deer River'. Even though it was incorrect the name stuck to the growing community and that name still lives on today.
|Welcome to Fort Normandeau|
|The front gates of Fort Normandeau|
|The grounds of Fort Normandeau|
|The Fort Normandeau Interpretive Centre|
|Outside the reconstructed fort|
|A tower and a cannon|
|The main building inside the fort|
"The detachment of the 65th Rifles took Robert McClellan's 'hotel', built in 1884, and fortified it. They cut loopholes in the walls, built a palisade of 10-foot logs set in a 2-foot trench, erected a protective wall of planks and clay outside the walls of the stopping house and lined the palisade with planks and clay."
-Raymond Gaetz, The Story of Fort Normandeau
|Behind the main building is a garden and chickens|
|This stone cairn marks the site of the first trading post between Calgary and Edmonton and the old Red Deer River Crossing. Erected by the Old Timers Association in memory of the pioneers of the Red Deer District - 1951|
|Inside the main building of Fort Normandeau|
|The Red Deer River|
To learn more about other Alberta historic forts please refer to these posts about Fort Whoop-Up and Fort Calgary.