Friday, November 28, 2014

GOT Parks? We Sure Do!




I've been volunteering with the GOT Parks Team for almost one year now.  Part of our required tasks is outreach, where we contact different like-minded organizations and individuals in order to increase our awareness.  I've been fortunate over the past year to write several different pieces on behalf of GOT Parks that were published both in print and online.  Here's what I've been up to...

I was featured as a guest blogger for The Nature Conservancy of Canada's blog, Land Lines.  I wrote a short article about GOT Parks and on June 12, 2014 my post went live.  Although the post was mostly about promoting GOT Parks it also featured a few of my favourite parks and the adventures I've had in them.  The post can be viewed right here.

The June/July 2014 issue of Voice of the Friends, the newsletter published by the Friends of Fish Creek Provincial Park Society, ran a short article promoting the GOT Parks initiative.  The entire newsletter can be viewed here while the specific article pertaining to GOT Parks can be seen below.

Our Canada magazine, the publication written by Canadians, for Canadians, featured a two-page spread highlighting my experience with GOT Parks thus far.  The story isn't available online, but if you'd like to read it you can pick up a copy of the Dec/Jan 2015 issue and flip to page 54 or try your luck with the photos below.

The inside cover features my photo of Twin Falls
The cover of the Dec/Jan issue of Our Canada


The two-page spread in the magazine.  They're not mentioned in the article, but my brother, Kyle, snapped the photo on the left featuring me standing in front of Takakkaw Falls and my co-teacher, Jeff, took the photo on the right of me snowboarding at Sunshine Village.
I've really enjoyed working with GOT Parks thus far and am looking forward to what 2015 brings.  Hopefully we can continue to raise awareness about the outdoors and see an increase in young people spending time outside.  

Don't forget to sign-up for your own GOT Parks account by visiting the website and 'Like' us on Facebook.  We're also active on Twitter (@getouttoparks) and Instagram (gotparks), if you'd like to follow us on social media.  

Now Get Out To Parks, Nature's Waiting!


Recently I featured GOT Parks in a story I did for Calgary Guardian that was titled, GOT Parks? We Sure Do!

No comments:

Post a Comment